Monday, April 2, 2012

Dictionary Hike

I got turned onto the idea of doing a "distionary hike" by a new friend, Amy Ludwig Vanderwater. Check out her fabulous blog, The Poem Farm. Each day during National Poetry Month, Amy is letting her finger fall on a word in the dictionary, and she is then creating a poem that must include that word. She has begun at A and will work her way to Z as each day goes by. Hence the "dictionary hike" concept. I caught the bug and have determined that whatever word she picks each day, I will use the same word in a haiku. After 26 days, between us we will have 52 poems. (Mine will generally be way shorter!)

We have thus far completed A and B. My first two haiku appear together here. To see Amy's poems, go here. I am very much looking forward to C tomorrow. Visit each day and see what we have created. Hey, that starts with C. Cool. Oh, so does that. Ciao...oy, this is contagious! Signing off now before I am covered in C-words...

April 1
Day 1: A is for Ancient

The ancient soul aches
for one more undoing or
doing of the heart.


April 2
Day 2: B is for Bluegrass

Mystery

Bluegrass, green-sky. Why?
Why not? I wonder as my
day turns up-under.

2 comments:

Amy LV said...

I am so excited to have a hiking partner that I cannot stand it! 'Wish you were there with us up on the hill smiling at tadpoles... Maybe someday. Did you bring any trail mix, Lisa? a

Poem of the Week - Lisa Vihos said...

Hi Amy, I am just seeing your comment. I'm having so much fun on my hike. Thank you for inviting me to come along. I got trail mix and a couple apples to share... hungry?